Think Like a Tree, Act Like a Forest
At Clif Family we’re guided by our values.
We call them our Five Aspirations – Sustaining Our People, Community, Planet, Brands and Business.
Click On Images To Learn More
Sustaining Our People
Create an environment where our employees can grow and succeed:
- Create a company culture that inspires and supports our people in and outside of work.
- Sustain our people with competitive pay and benefits, wellness o erings and other innovative benefits.
- Hire the right people to the right positions and support them to grow in their current and future roles.
Sustaining Our Business
Build a sustainable and resilient company:
- Live within our means, ensuring our company is viable and lasting.
- Be profitable, but not just exist for profit.
- Be dynamic and thought provoking, pushing ourselves to be leaders in our industry.
Sustaining Our Brands
Create brands with integrity, quality and authenticity:
- Connect with our consumers through authentic experiences and our shared values.
- Strive for relevancy, authenticity and innovation in everything that we do.
- Deliver excellence in wine, food and hospitality.
Sustaining Our Planet
Conserve and restore our natural resources, operating in harmony with nature:
- Support sustainable food and agriculture, with an emphasis on organic farming.
- Strive to reduce waste across our business.
- Conserve natural resources and protect the places we eat, farm and play.
- Lead by example with our customers, business partners and community partners.
Sustaining Our Community
Support the local communities where our employees live and work:
- Be a gathering point that fosters community connection.
- Work in partnership with local non-profit and community organizations.
- Support communities directly with volunteer time, cash and product donations.
“We’re working to run a different kind of company: The kind of place we’d want to work, that makes the kind of food we’d like to eat, and that strives for a healthier, more sustainable world – the kind of world we’d like to pass on to our children.”
Kit Crawford, Co-Owner and Co-Founder
Organic Food & Farming
Certifed Organic Farmland
Maintain 100% CCOF organic certification on all Clif Family vineyard and farm land with over 100 acres certified.
CERTIFIED ORGANIC FOOD PRODUCTS
Maintain CCOF organic certification on all eligible food products.
LOCALLY GROWN, ORGANIC PRODUCE
Supply our Food Truck and Tasting Room with organically grown produce from our Organic Howell Mountain Farm.
NAPA GREEN CERTIFICATION
One of the 1st five vineyards in Napa Valley certified under the new Napa Green Vineyard Certification.
USE 100% GREEN POWER
SOLAR GROWN™ HONEY
Expand Solar Grown product offerings to multiply benefits of clean energy and pollinator habitat.
ACHIEVE FSC CERTIFICATION ON ALL PAPER & FOREST PRODUCTS
REDUCE PACKAGING USED IN SHIPPING
Conserve & Restore Natural Resources
PLANT TREES, RESTORE FORESTS
Partner with American Forests to restore healthy forests in areas devastated by wildfires in California. Learn more about our partnership here.
Continue community service on company time and contribute over 1250 hours annually as a business. Support community events and local non-profits through our monthly Sip & Support program.
HELP EMPLOYEES CONNECT WITH THE OUTDOORS
DEDICATED TO SUSTAINABILITY
CLIF FAMILY SUSTAINABILITY PARTNERSHIPS & AWARDS
2020 GREEN COMPANY OF THE YEARThe prestigious California Green Medal recognizes the leadership of wineries and vineyards committed to sustainability. It is presented by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance, California Association of Winegrape Growers, Wine Institute, Lodi Winegrape Commission, Napa Valley Vintners and Sonoma County Winegrowers Association. In 2020, Clif Family received the Community Award, given to the vineyard or winery that is a Good Neighbor & Employer using the most innovative practices that enhance relationships with employees, neighbors and communities.
Certified Organic – Clif Family’s 90 acres of Estate Vineyards and 5 acres of olive and fruit orchards and vegetable gardens are farmed and certified organic by California Certified Organic Farmers. Our Savory Nut Mixes, Dark Chocolates, Preserves, Hot Sauces and Olive Oil are also certified organic.
Fish Friendly –The Fish Friendly Farming Certification Program is run by the California Land Stewardship Institute. This certification program is for agricultural properties managed to restore fish and wildlife habitat and improve water quality.
Clean Energy –MCE is a public, not-for-profit electricity provider that gives all PG&E electric customers the choice of having 60% to 100% of their electricity supplied from clean, renewable sources—such as solar, wind, bioenergy, geothermal, and hydroelectric—at competitive rates. As a Deep Green customer, 100% of Clif Family’s energy comes from renewable sources.
SME Climate Hub –Clif Family has made a commitment through SME Climate Hub to achieve net zero emissions before 2050, aligned with the United Nations Race to Zero campaign. Part of our commitment is to report on our progress on an annual basis. The SME Climate Hub is a global initiative that empowers small to medium sized companies to take climate action and build resilient businesses for the future.
HOW TO RECYCLE OUR PACKAGING
At Clif Family, we strive to have the lowest impact on our environment as possible. We are constantly looking for effective and efficient packaging materials for all of our wine, food products and shipping materials. Below you’ll find information about all of our packaging materials and suggested instructions of how to dispose of these materials.
Wine Packaging – We use lightweight glass wine bottles in an effort to reduce our carbon footprint. The glass bottle, aluminum screwcaps, and foil capsule are recyclable, FDA compliant, and BPA-free. The cork is compostable. Remove any foil left on the neck of your wine bottle before depositing the bottle into your curbside recycle bin. To ensure the foil capsule is recycled, please place all pieces inside a larger container of like material before depositing them into your curbside recycling bin. If your bottle has a metal cog decoration, please remove it before disposing of the glass bottle. If your bottle has a cork, please deposit the cork into your curbside or household compost bin.
Chocolates – All chocolate packaging is made with FSC-certified materials and a non-plastic food-grade liner to ensure freshness. All packaging is FDA compliant and BPA free. Please reuse containers or deposit them into your curbside recycling bin or curbside compost bin.
Nut Mix Pouches – These pouches are made of a PE laminate to ensure both the freshness of our nut mixes and the recyclability of our packaging. These pouches are FDA compliant and BPA free. Please recycle at an approved H2Recycle in-store drop-off location. To find one in your area, click here.
Solar Grown Honeys, Preserves, Hot Sauces, and Olive Oil – Both the glass jar and the aluminum lid are recyclable, FDA compliant, and BPA free. The foam tamper seal is NOT recyclable. Please reuse the jar and lid or dispose of them in your curbside recycling bin. Please dispose of the foam tamper seal from the Solar Grown Honeys and dispose of the cork stopper from the Olive Oil in the trash.
In an effort to reduce waste, we often reuse packing materials that we’ve received from other vendors to give these materials a second life. This includes shipper boxes, eco-friendly bubble wrap, and paper fill. When second life materials are not available, we use the following packaging materials to ensure safe delivery of our wine and food products.
- Our shipper boxes are made with 33% PCW and can be recycled in your curbside recycle bin.
- Pulp wine trays are curbside recyclable and made of compostable material.
- Eco-friendly bubble wrap includes 40% recycled content with 20% from post-consumer sources.
- Clear cello packing tape is entirely plant-derived, renewable, and industrially compostable.
- Water activated kraft paper tape is made of a renewable plant-derived (cornstarch) adhesive and backing and is made up of 50% PCW, making it fully recyclable.
- Icepacks are made with a heavy-duty biodegradable sleeve and a non-toxic and drain safe refrigerant gel. They are also reusable.
- Our brown kraft wine tote caddies used for carrying wine purchases from our Rifugio Tasting Room or Enoteca Tasting Salon are reusable and curbside recyclable.
Please reuse packaging or place corrugated boxes, wine caddies, paper fill, tissue paper, and paper marketing collateral into your curbside recycle bin. Eco-friendly bubble wrap can be recycled alongside other plastic films in designated recycle bins, like plastic grocery bags. Designated recycle bins can be found at your local grocery store or pharmacy.